Home > Almaty Process > Chair of Almaty Process
Chair of Almaty Process
From June 2013 to November 2016: The Republic of Kazakhstan (Chairperson: Mr. Birzhan Nurymbetov, Vice-Minister of Labor and Social Protection of Population of the Republic of Kazakhstan).
Since November 2016: The Kyrgyz Republic (Chairperson: Mr. Almazbek Asanbayev, Deputy Chair of the State Migration Service of the Kyrgyz Republic). The Kyrgyz Republic has assumed the Chairmanship of the Almaty Process for two years.
The Terms of Reference of the Chairperson are:
- Chair the meetings held within the framework of the Almaty Process, host the Ministerial review and plan conferences;
- Act as focal point for follow-up on Almaty Process-related initiatives and their implementation throughout the period of the chairmanship;
- Organize, with assistance of the Support Unit, workshops, consultations and conferences on specific migration or asylum-related topics;
- Represent the Almaty Process at external events, acting on behalf of and in accordance with decisions of participating States;
- Promote the visibility of the Almaty Process;
- With the assistance of the Support Unit mobilize resources needed for the functioning of the Almaty Process.